Buying email lists is a legitimate email marketer's kiss of death...
When it comes to rented or purchased lists, you may come across vendors or marketers who say, "This email list is totally opt-in!" This means that the people on the list opted in to an email communication from someone at some point in time -- like the list provider, for example. What it doesn't mean, however, is that they opted in to receive email communications from your business.
Good email address lists aren't for sale.
If someone actually had a good email list, they'd keep it to themselves because they don't want to see the value of those email addresses diminished by letting other people get their hands on it. Think about it -- would you sell or share the email addresses of those who have voluntarily opted in to receive email from you? I didn't think so.
If you purchase a list, you have no way of confirming how often those email addresses have been emailed, whether the email addresses on that list have been scrubbed for hard bounces to prevent identifying you as a spammer, or from where those email addresses originated. Are you really willing to risk not only your email deliverability, but also the reputation of your IP address and your company? Even if you find the light after purchasing or renting email lists and decide to only email those who have opted in with your company, it will take you months (or maybe years) to get your Sender Score up and rebuild the reputation of your IP.
Thankfully, there are email verification and list hygiene providers on the market who gather intelligence and will help you clean your lists before getting caught up in this mess. Keep in mind that there’s a huge difference between email validation versus email verification services.
Here are the leading email verification and list hygiene services online:
- Turbo AutoResponder – TurboAutoResponder verifies your customer email addresses in real-time and helps you to maintain an email hygiene delivering maximum response rate.
- Bounceless – Bounceless will clean your email lists by detecting unverified emails, spam traps, and disposable domains.
- Proofy – Quickly validate and verify your email lists. EU-US Privacy Shield compliant.
- Quick Email Verification – A web-based service to verify email addresses in bulk or real-time using a REST API. They detect invalid and non-working emails and provide you with complete detailed report.
- Verifalia – Verifalia is a web-based email validation service that lets you upload and validate lists of email addresses simply and easily.
- Xverify – Know you are emailing an account that will not bounce. Xverify can verify email addresses in real time and via batch.
Utilization of these list hygiene services can improve the percentage of emails that make it to the inbox, reduce your risk of being blocked by the Internet Service Providers, and reduce the risk of getting fired by your Email Service Provider… they’re worth the investment if you’ve got an old list or are collaborating on one. Keep in mind that you’ll simply never reach 100% accuracy on your lists. People change jobs and providers often, abandoning their old email addresses.
I hope this helps!