Here’s a great SEO checklist:
- Upload a robots.txt file so bots can crawl your site.
- Ensure you have an XML sitemap to guide Google through the architecture of your site.
- Install Google Analytics.
- Validate HTML and CSS.
- Purchase an SSL certificate and upgrade to HTTPS.
- Correct any crawl errors and redirect issues.
- Include target keywords for a given page in the title and H1.
- Optimize meta descriptions, as this can affects click-through-rate (CTR).
- Optimize headings (H1s, H2s, etc.) in a natural way.
- Optimize images (file name, alt text, and image size).
Optimize all future pages as you add them, including collections and product pages.
You’ll also need to re-optimize your content periodically to better target the keywords that convert the most.
SEO is an ongoing process. Tweaks will always be needed because search algorithms are constantly changing – and so are your customers’ wants, needs, and behaviors.
Run your site through an auditor like 1-stSEO.com. Check back in every few months to make sure your corrections have taken hold and identify any new issues.